Wednesday 21 December 2011

tradition


As a kid I refused to conform to traditional ways of living. I didn’t live in the same world everyone else does, I lived in a place where I could wear colours that clashed, I wore woolly hats in the summer and nothing in the winter. Then I grew up, and it just wasn’t socially acceptable to live this way. It’s sad how the world thinks they have to act and live a certain way to fit in. Why fit in? I would do anything I could to stand out and I want to be able to bring that back, make it acceptable to be yourself, be expressive. I long for freedom. Creative freedom is something I feel deprived of my whole life. School, College, Work, all places where I’m told what to wear, what to do, how to feel. I’m told where my inspiration has to come from, and guided in a certain direction, which often doesn’t reflect me. When I get dressed in the morning, I want to feel as good as I do alone in my room, in a crowd of people. However, I often feel that as soon as I reach my destination, the first thing people are going to do, is just my outfit, my hair, my make-up, my jewelry, my shoes, my nails. Its pety, and it's unfair. 
Music is my biggest inspiration. I wake up in the morning. I turn my alarm off and my laptop on. iTunes is up before chrome. Shuffle. Skip until something gets me moving. That could be anything from, The Wonder Years, to Adele, to You Me At Six, more often than not it will be Mayday Parade, but it could be Bring Me The Horizon, Of Mice & Men, Black Sabbath, Bon Jovi, these are all regulars on my playlist. These are what influence me. Whether it be, the tempo of the song, the feel of the song, or the literal lyrics.
I believe this is a more acceptable form of inspiration for my style, not what I think other are going to think.
At the end of the day, you're wearing it, if you are comfortable and happy is that not the most important factor?

I think so.
Be true to who you are.
Yes I read Vogue and Elle religiously, but more for inspiration.
I, Kitty Dunne-Mason, refuse to be told what to wear.
What to look like.

Who to be.


By the way, I've been listening to The Wonder Years this morning. I'll post a picture of how this affects my outfit today later. 

Blog Archive